ANGELES CITY – A regional trial court here postponed the supposed last and final hearing on the illegal drugs case against shobwbiz personality Mark Fernandez citing the lack of witnesses from the prosecution. It was reset on April 26.
Judge Ireneo Pangilinan, of the Regional Trial Court Branch 58, said he received a letter from the state prosecutor asking the latter to be excused from April 18 trial due to important meeting in Baguio City.
“In view of the urgent motion for postponement filed by the prosecutors on April 17, 2017, stating that they cannot attend today’s hearing for having to attend a caucus discussion s in Baguio City on April 18, 2017,” stated Pangilinan in his order for postponement.
The prosecutors motion however was meted by strong objection by Fernandez defense counsel who eventually succumbed to the court decision.
Fernandez was arrested by authorities here after a brief chase along Mcarthur Highway at Barangay Virgen de los Remedios October last year.
Fernandez was on board yellow mustang without license plates when flagged down at a police checkpoint. He tried to avoid arrest by accelerating his car but was intercepted moments later by another group of lawmen.
It was not mentioned in the police report if Fernandez was under the influence of liquor but sources said the young actor was reeking in liquor when arrested past 8 p.m.
Former Angeles City Police Office director Senior Supt. Sidney Villaflor said the arresting team found inside Fernandez car a kilo of suspected cannabis, neatly wrapped in packaging tape.
Villaflor said the suspect was brought to Station 6 for further investigation as violation of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act and resisting arrest charges are being readied against him.
Villaflor is no longer connected with the ACPO. He was relieved early this year.
From Angeles City police detention cell, Fernandez was transferred to Pampanga Provincial Jail where he is presently detained.