No search warrant in Salas raid — Counsel

 16 

ANGELES CITY – The lead counsel of former Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) chairman and New People’s Army (NPA) chief Rodolfo “Ka Bilog” Salas said the latter’s residence here had been raided without a search warrant.

“All documents and objects presented were illegaly obtained,” according to Atty. Ricardo M. Sagmit referring to the pistol, ammunitions and other documents presented during the press briefing at Camp Olivas on Tuesday.

“There were violations of the constitutional rights of the accused (Salas),” said Sagmit.

Sagmit asked for the inventory of all “these documents taken without any search warrant.”

Salas was arrested on Tuesday morning by elements of the Special Concern Unit of Regional Intelligence Division 3, 301st Maneuver Company of the Regional Mobile Force Battalion 3 and Angeles City Police Intelligence Branch.

Seized during the search of Salas residence in Angeles City is a Para-Ordnance cal. 45 pistol, 174 pieces of different ammunitions and two Cal. 45 magazine assembly. 

On Wednesday morning, Salas appeared before the Angeles City Prosecutor’s Office to face charges of illegal possession of firearm.

Sagmit said “We already asked the Prosecutor to file the case in court so that we can expedite the proceedings.”

“I have full confidence in my lawyers… Atty. Sagmit and Atty. Sanidad. I am optimistic that this will be settled as soon as possible,” said Salas.

Salas, however was arrested on Tuesday based on the warrant of arrest issued by Regional Trial Court Branch 32 Presiding Judge Thelma Bunyi-Medina last August 28, 2019 which stemmed from 15 counts of murder which allegedly occurred in Leyte.