The Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), through its social development arm, BPI Foundation, is extending the deadline for project proposals for its BPI-DOST Innovation Awards until March 31, 2022.
In partnership with the Department of Science and Technology – Science Education Institute (SEI), the competition aims to challenge bright Filipino students of Basic and Applied Sciences to actively participate in solving prevalent socio-economic problems in the society.
“Innovation is key in building a sustainable, financially inclusive and better Philippines,” said BPI Foundation Executive Director Owen Cammayo. “Through the BPI-DOST Innovation Awards, we aim to recognize and reinforce the role of innovation in nation-building by encouraging our young and promising innovators to develop sustainable products and technologies that will address specific problems in the community.”
The BPI-DOST Innovation Awards is open to all regular Filipino junior and senior (3rd to 5th year) college students of Basic and Applied sciences. Each school shall be represented by one team composed of three students. The team shall showcase an innovative project that addresses problems in such areas as agriculture, disaster management, education, entrepreneurship, environment, food safety, health, security, transportation, and traffic management, among others.
Ten teams will receive Php25,000 each and shall undergo a one to two-day online workshop. After the workshops, the teams are given 90 days to build and implement their projects. Out of the Top 10, three teams with the most outstanding projects will win the BPI-DOST Innovation Award and a cash prize of Php100,000 each.
Interested students may still apply directly to the schools listed below. Successful applicants will be contacted through the schools by the end of April by BPI Foundation.
List of DOST-SEI Consortium College/Universities:
- Ateneo de Manila University
- Batangas State University
- Bicol University
- Central Luzon State University
- Central Mindanao University
- Cebu Normal University
- De La Salle University
- Leyte Normal University
- Mapua University
- Mariano Marcos State University
- Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology
- Mindanao State University-Marawi City
- Nueva Vizcaya State University
- Philippine Normal University
- Philippine Women’s University
- St. Louis University
- St. Luke’s College of Medicine
- St. Mary’s University
- University of San Carlos
- University of Santo Tomas
- University of Science and Technology of Southern Philippines Cagayan de Oro City
- University of Southeastern Philippines
- University of the Philippines – Baguio
- University of the Philippines – Diliman
- University of the Philippines – Los Baños
- University of the Philippines – Manila
- University of the Philippines – Open University
- University of the Philippines – Visayas
- Visayas State University
- West Visayas State University
- Western Mindanao State University
For more information, visit https://www.bpifoundation.org/page/bpi-dost-innovation-awards.