SUBIC BAY FREEPORT — Top performers among the municipal councils in the 13 towns of Zambales received recognition on Friday for their crucial role in community development and good governance, as the provincial government launched its local legislative awards with some P2 million in total cash prizes.
In a ceremony held at the Subic Bay Exhibition and Convention Center (SBECC) here, Governor Hermogenes Ebdane Jr. handed out the awards and praised local legislators for demonstrating good practices, enhancing service delivery, shaping communities through economic development, and creating an enabling environment for business and job creation.
“All these contribute to achieving our long-term vision for our province and for the nation,” he added.
A total of 16 awards were given to outstanding town councils following an assessment of their performance from 2019 to 2022. The review was conducted last August 7 to 24 by personnel of the Zambales provincial office of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).
The best performers among the 13 town councils in the province are the following:
• Masinloc — 4th Best Performing Local Sanggunian, 1st-3rd Class Municipalities Category. The Masinloc SB received a plaque of recognition and P100,000 cash prize.
• Castillejos — 3rd Best Performing Local Sanggunian, 1st-3rd Class Municipalities Category, plaque of recognition and P200,000 cash;
• Iba — 2nd Best Performing Local Sanggunian, 1st-3rd Class Municipalities Category; plaque of recognition and P300,000 cash;
• San Felipe — Most Outstanding Local Sanggunian for 4th-6th Class Municipalities Category; plaque of recognition and P400,000 cash; and
• Subic – Most Outstanding Local Sanggunian for 1st-3rd Class Municipalities Category; plaque of recognition and P400,000 cash.
The awards committee headed by DILG provincial director Martin Porres Moral also handed out special awards to town councils with specific exemplary performances:
• Castillejos and San Marcelino — “Malasakit” Pillar Award
• Subic — Most Effective Sangguniang Bayan
• Iba — ‘Pagbabago’ Pillar Award,
• San Marcelino — Most Noteworthy Innovative Sangguniang Bayan
• Iba — “Patuloy na Pag-Unlad” Award
• Subic — Best in Records Management
• Palauig — Best Legislative Office Set-up
• Castillejos — Most Responsive Legislative Agenda
• Masinloc — “Maagap” award
• Subic — Most Efficient Sangguniang Bayan
• Masinloc — Most Empowered Legislative
With the awards, Ebdane said his administration hopes to achieve his vision for a first-class province that is driven by inclusive growth, sustainable development, and effective good governance resulting in community empowerment and self-reliance among Zambaleños.
“We need to see more forward-thinking, responsive, and competent local legislators as our staunch partners in effecting developmental and transformational change in our province,” the governor also reminded the Sanggunian members.
Among those who helped Ebdane hand out the awards were DILG Provincial Director Martin Porres Moral; Iba Vice Mayor Joan D. Ballesteros, president of the Zambales Vice Mayors’ League; San Narciso Councilor Peter Lim, president of the Zambales Councilors’ League; Vice Governor Jacqueline Khonghun; Mayor Jeffrey Khonghun, president of the Zambales Mayors’ League; and members of the Zambales provincial board.