18 hurt in Bataan fuel tanker blast

At least 18 persons including the skipper and mostly crew of an ill-fated fuel tanker were injured following an explosion off the shore of Barangay Luz, Limay, Bataan late Wednesday evening, authorities said.
Chief Supt. Aaron N. Aquino, Central Luzon police director, identified the victims as Vincent  Latap, 56, ship captain of MT KR Reia Faye and resident of Albay, Legaspi City; Steven Kyle Calugay,19, apprentice, of San Fernando La Union; Kenneth Guinto, 21, On-the Job-Trainee of Dagupan City; Rodgie Francisco, 23, apprentice, of Cebu City; Danilo Morollano, 23, oiler of Bantayan Island, Cebu City; and Marty S. Manzo, 41, second engineer, of Bilogo Calatrova, Romblon, who all suffered third degree burns.
Others who sustained minor burns were Christian Lexter Doroteo Faner, 25, OJT from Dasmariñas Cavite; Bryan De Peralta, 25, OJT, of San Julian Vigan, Ilocos Sur; Celszann Cabanela Celis,  OJT, of Cogeo Antipolo City; and Armando Leanillo, 61, 2nd Mate (3rd Officer), of Fairview Quezon City; Restie Siona, 21, apprentice, of Karuhatan, Valenzuela City; Maria Theresita Diego, 21, apprentice, of Malabon City; Petapaul Bones, 23, apprentice, of Navotas City; Agustin Sabidal, 21, apprentice, of Patnungon, Antique; James Darwin Oro, 22, apprentice, of Iloilo City; John Lester Oro, 23, apprentice of Iloilo City; Cris Raondero, 26, apprentice, of Orbiztondo, Pangasinan and Jonarick Garo, 22, checker, of Malate Manila.
Aquino said the M/TKR REIA FAYE, a fuel marine tanker vessel, operating under Reild Marine Services & Trading, was anchored about one nautical mile off the shores of Barangay Luz, Limay town when the engine room exploded past 5 p.m.
The vessel was docked while waiting for loading instructions from Petron Bataan Refinery.
Initial police reports have it that most of the victims, especially those detailed at the engine room, rushed to check unusual sounds coming from the engine.
“The fuel tanker engine was being powered-up when the crew heard irregular noise at the engine room followed by burst of flames. Nearby tugboat operators rescued the crew who jumped into the water,” said Aquino in a statement.
Members of the Maritime police and Philippine Coast Guard rushed to the scene and rescued the victims. Latap, who sustained burns on his lower body, Calugay, Faner, Peralta and Celis are being treated at Bataan General Hospital, Balanga City while the rest were brought to St. Michael Hospital, Orion, Bataan.
As of press time, the immediate cause of fire is yet to be determined. (With reports of Mhike Cigaral)
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com