As we face increasing concerns about water scarcity and the need for sustainable lifestyle choices, it becomes crucially important to make the most of this abundant resource.
In this article, we will share various ways to save water during the rainy season, highlighting the benefits for the environment, your pocket and future generations. By implementing these practices, you can make a meaningful contribution to water conservation while enjoying the many advantages of a sustainable and dependable lifestyle.
We can save water by using only what is needed.
- Reduce Shower Time: Shorten showers by aiming for about just five minutes, to conserve water and energy for heating.
- Don’t Leave the Tap Water Running: To prevent unnecessary water waste, turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth, washing your face, and cleaning the dishes.
Turn off the tap when not in use.
- Reuse Water: Reuse water used for washing rice and vegetables or rinsing dishes to water indoor plants. Laundry water can also be used for toilet flushing.
- Sweep Instead of Hose: Save water by sweeping the dirt on sidewalks and roads instead of using a hose to clean them.
- Use Only Full Loads of Laundry: Wait until you have a full load of laundry before using your washing machine to maximize water efficiency.
- Fix Leaks ASAP: Immediately fix even small leaks in your home’s plumbing system because it can eventually waste a lot of water.
- Water Plants Sensibly: Water your plants in the early morning or late evening to minimize evaporation.
The SM’s recycled mall wastewater is used for watering gardens, among others
- Collect Rainwater: Set up rain barrels or containers to capture rainwater for outside uses like cleaning, watering plants, or filling toilet bowls.
SM City Baguio features a water catchment basin designed to gather and treat water for recycling within the mall.
As part of every community that it serves, SM Supermalls is aware of the fundamental role in promoting water security and conservation, championing water reuse, and being the catalyst of a sustainable solution. Water catchment basins in 25 malls have been installed to help prevent flooding as well as soil erosion during heavy downpours. In its malls nationwide, water is reused for non-potable use, such as cleaning the malls, flushing toilets, and watering plants. Last July, SM City Baguio introduced the first of its-kind in a mall-setting facility that converts rainwater into potable water and contributes to the city’s water management measures.
- Raise awareness to others: Spread the word about water conservation among family, friends, and neighbors to create a positive impact and viable solutions.
Keep in mind that every little bit helps, and by putting these water-saving tips into practice, we can significantly contribute to preserving this vital resource for everyone’s future.
Observe water conservation measures to help battle the effects of climate change.